The LCA helps us to make informed decisions about improvements to our processes and products from a holistic environmental steward perspective.
Product life cycle analysis
A product Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is a method used to measure the full environmental impact of a product from “cradle to grave”. Data is gathered from all areas of a products life, from the sourcing of raw materials, their transportation to Formica Corporation sites, product fabrication, further transportation to points of distribution, use, repair or maintenance and disposal or recycling at end of life. These complex sets of data are analyzed and applied in accordance with ISO 14040 Series and the final LCA is then third-party certified against ISO 14040.
LCA impact on Formica® Brand products
Formica Corporation uses the LCA data to benchmark new product development and ensure that the product’s environmental impacts are fully understood. Formica can also critically identify any “hotspots” of environmental impacts within the life of the product, even if these hotspots are related to the supply chain of raw materials. With full knowledge of the impacts of our products we can work towards greater sustainability. Formica Corporation is the first laminate manufacturer to complete a comprehensive product-specific LCA that uses data drawn from all aspects of the supply chain and manufacturing processes.
Formica Corporation has performed an LCA for its flagship products:
- High Pressure Laminate (HPL)
- Continuous Process Laminate (CPL) (Europe)
- Compact Laminate
- Solid Surfacing
The specific impact criteria detailed in the LCA was based around:
- Energy usage
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG)
- Effect on environmental building assessment programs (LEED, BREAM)
- Water usage
Programs have been developed along with our supply chain partners to reduce all elements of impact- no matter how minimal. Formica Group’s goals include:
- Reduce embodied energy within the full manufacturing process, including all supply chain and downstream activities.
- Reduce GHG emissions by 5% throughout all facilities in Europe, North America and Asia
- Reduce water usage within full life of the products manufacturing process
- Reduce waste to landfill and increase activities to recycle more waste
Formica Corporation is building sound and sustainable programs with specific goals to reduce all environmental impacts that derive from its business activities. We will:
- Continue to develop Corporate Leadership in Sustainability
- Work with supply chain partners to increase recycled and eco-friendly content in all of our raw materials, making mandatory the use of fibers from sustainable forests.
- Continue to lower volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions in our products and operations.
- Reduce energy usage within our facilities and throughout the life of our products.
- Reduce our carbon impacts not only by reducing energy use, but also by developing renewable energy sources for our Operations.
- We will perform periodic product LCA to continue to closely monitor our progress in reducing environmental impacts.