Formica Corporation is excited to announce the winners of the 2018 FORM Student Innovation Competition.
The grand-prize winning design was displayed at the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center in an exhibition titled reFORM from March 23-April 8 alongside designs from the original 2008 FORM competition. To view photos of the grand-prize winning design at the exhibition visit here.
The FORM Student Innovation Competition is a modern take on the original “FORM: Contemporary Architects at Play” challenge, held by Formica Corporation in 2008. Ten world-renowned architects, including Zaha Hadid, Michael Graves, Bernard Tschumi and Massimo Vignelli, constructed new works of art from Formica® Brand products. The fabricated designs were then exhibited in Cincinnati, where Formica Corporation is headquartered, at the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center.
The 2018 competition invited students to take on the same challenge, and create something to “sit upon, lay upon, lean upon or play upon.” Finalist submissions were reviewed by a panel of esteemed judges, including:
- Melodie Leung with Zaha Hadid Architects
- Rob Van Varick and Donald Strum with Michael Graves Architecture & Design
- R. Roger Remington with the Vignelli Center for Design Studies, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Raphaela Platow with the Contemporary Arts Center
- Renee Hytry Derrington, Global Design Lead for Formica Group
The 2019 FORM Student Innovation Competition will be announced later this year.